- Britten rehearsals his War Requiem;
- Bruno Walter rehearsals Mozart's Linz Symphony (a 2-hour recording), Beethoven's 5th and Mahler's 9th;
- Mariss Jansons rehearsals Shostakovich's 8th;
- Boult rehearsals Vaughan Williams's The Pilgrim's Progress;
- Celibidache rehearsals Bruckner's 9th;
- Karajan rehearsals Mozart's 40th & 41st, and Beethoven's 9th.
- Maria Callas in rehearsal, in Dallas, 1957
- Toscanini rehearsals Verdi and Wagner.
- Furtwängler rehearsals Beethoven and Ravel.
- Gershwin conducts the studio orchestra and plays the solo piano part in a rehearsal performance of his Second Rhapsody, recorded one month after the work's completion.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Recordings of rehearsals offer a unique opportunity to look at the classical warhorses in a new way. Highlights in this playlist include: